This quick start guide will outline the basic steps to create a
survey. For more detailed documentation, see Design a survey .
While in a folder, click on "New Survey" in the menu box on the
left side of the screen.
Give the survey a name. The name is not visible to respondents,
but is used to identify the survey in Opinio. When the number of
surveys in the system becomes large, it is useful with names that
are descriptive and unique. Click on "create".
- The survey is now created. You will see it in the list of
surveys in the folder you are currently located. Click on the
survey in the list.
This screen is the main survey screen. It will tell you the
status of the survey, and give you access to all survey functions.
Let's create the questions. Click on "Questions" in the menu box on
the left side.
This is the screen to design your question.
The question text is entered in the big text box. The tabs below
lets you choose between the main question types:
- Rating: Lets the respondent enter a value on a scale.
- Multiple choice: Lets the respondent select one or more items
among a set of choices.
- Numeric: Lets the respondent enter a numeric value.
- Dropdown: Lets the respondent select a value in a drop-down
list (also called selection list).
- Matrix: If none of the basic question types fit your needs, use
the matrix. This allows for extreme flexibility.
- No type: None of the other types. Use this if you do not want
any input for your question, or if you want to add a text-box. See
the settings further down the screen for this. It is also possible
to enter input fields and buttons directly into the question text
itself (see In-text elements
Select the question type, then set the various options for this
type. Click on "next" (top or bottom of the main content box) to
create the next question, or "finish" if you are done creating
After finishing your questions, you will enter the question list
screen. This screen will let you organize your questions, by
moving, deleting and editing them. This screen is also used to
insert and manage survey sections and pages.
Keep in mind that you can at any time click on "Preview Survey"
in the menu box to see what the survey will look like for your
- Once the questions are made, you can go on to customize the
survey settings. You can change the survey look & feel,
behavior, etc. In this quick guide, we will let all survey features
stay at default settings.
You have now created your survey! Now let's look at how to
publish it. Or in other words, how to make it available to your
respondents. Click on "Back to survey" in the menu box, then click
on "Publish survey". You will get this screen:
A survey can be published in several ways:
- Send the survey URL (the address of the survey), as written in
the screen above, to your respondents by email.
- Use the Opinio built-in invitation feature to send your survey
invitations. This allow you to track your invitees (who responded,
who did not), send reminders automatically to those who did not
respond, add custom data etc.
- Perform telephone interviews. This means that the telephone
interviewer asks the questions, and enters the responses as given
by the respondent.
- Post the survey URL on a web page. If you do not know how to do
this, ask your webmaster to do it (the person who is responsible
for maintaining your web site).
- Reports are available live while respondents are completing
your survey. This allows you to monitor the progress, and invite
more people to take the survey if needed. See Reports and data analysis for more
information about reporting.
- This was the basic steps for building a survey. Opinio offers a
wealth of possibilities for creating, designing, publishing surveys
and reporting the collected data. See other sections of this
documentation for more details.